In general, I tend to be incredibly organized – in a way that many of my friends think I am insane. For example, as a musician, I have a collection of at least 1000 CDs (I haven’t really counted…) that are in alphabetical order. Everyone always asks me what I do when I buy a CD by let’s say Mindi Abair, who would be categorized under A. I tell them that I wait until I have about 20 new CDs or so, then spend about an hour shifting everything around. It seems totally crazy, but I never have trouble finding music to listen to, and that hour gives me a mental break from everything else! Another benefit is that I occasionally “rediscover” music that has been sitting on the shelf for some time.
And since I am on the topic of CDs… I have been finding difficulty keeping track of my CD inventory (of CDs I’ve released). I try to write down everytime I sell CDs or hand them out, but I never seem to be able to keep that up. I was trying to do inventory again today, the last time I did was February 09, and trying to account for all the CDs that have “found new homes” in the last seven months has been virtually impossible. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Some Music I Have Been Listening To Lately:
1. Angelique Kidjo – this is really great world music, I can’t help but want to dance when I hear her music
2. Sade – I’ve been learning her music for the Sade Tribute Band I play in, tabooband.com
3. Diana Krall
4. Imogen Heap – her vocal overdubs are incredibly unique and sound amazing
5. David Sanborn – trying to figure out how to articulate as short as he can
6. Rob Thomas – his new CD Cradelsong is amazing
7. Jack Johnson
8. Jonny Lang
10. Tyrone Wells